Saturday, August 30, 2014

Teddy Bears, Peacocks and Elephants ... Oh My!



Operation Underground Railroad: ourrescue.org


It started as therapy, Judith’s paintings that is. She paints Panda Bears, Peacocks and Elephants; anything happy really. And she’s donated over 20 of them to the orphanages that Operation Underground Railroad places rescued children in.

Artists Judith Ray

"Sexual abuse has affected my family tremendously so when I heard Tim Ballard speaking on the Glenn Beck show about the children he's rescuing, I knew I had to do something, said Judith. It just tore me us and my husband said to me, 'your art needs to go there.'"

Judith Raye is a survivor of domestic violence and some of her family members have been personally affected by sexual abuse.  In the midst of the abuse, she watched helplessly as family members struggle through it. She knew what to expect, yet she hoped and prayed for a different outcome.  Years later her prayers were answered.  The family members have not only survived, but are thriving. 

As far as the paintings go, Judith is self-taught though her mother was a very gifted artist and it's obviously rubbed off.  "It's a work in progress.  There are different kinds of art: happy, peaceful, etc. I call them dreamscapes for children and they are a celebration of overcoming abuse and restoring a sense of innocence that was lost."

Judith Raye's Teddy Bear Painting


Judith knew she wanted to help the rescued children that O.U.R. saves, but thing were tight. "We're not wealthy people. I mean I had to wait ten years to replace my fridge. We were really hurting but my husband said we need to help, so we did."

Today her paintings hang in two orphanages in Haiti creating a bright and cheerful environment for those who have only known darkness. "I wanted to make sure my paintings were happy ones," Judith said. "Basically, I wanted to give back and share my art with people that can't afford it and sell it to people who can."

Judith Raye's Peacock Painting


With all her struggles Judith has not only donated to O.U.R. but other charities as well who help children.  Her paintings now hang in sever places including Oregon, Guatemala and now Haiti.  And she's not through yet. "if they need more I'll get more."

To learn more or view Judith Raye’s art visit her web site at http://www.judithraye.com/

Operation Underground Railroad: ourrescue.org

No comments:

Post a Comment